History of the Academy
In 1953, one year after the Fort Worth Academy of Medicine (now called the Tarrant County Academy of Medicine) was incorporated as a 501(c) (3) organization, the Amon G. Carter Foundation gave the building at 3855 Tulsa Way in Fort Worth to the Academy of Medicine. A large part of the building was leased to the Tarrant County Medical Society to be used as a center for educational programming and community meetings, as well as a place to display medical memorabilia and as a medical library. In 1953, the Tarrant County Medical Society membership totaled 400 physicians; today the membership exceeds 3,000 physicians. In 2009, the Tarrant County Academy of Medicine relocated to its new home at 555 Hemphill Street in Fort Worth.
The Fort Worth Academy of Medicine - TCMS' old home.
Purpose of the Academy
The Tarrant County Academy of Medicine was formed for the purpose of “improving the medical knowledge of matters relating to health and medicine among the lay public, and thereby improving the health and welfare of residents of Texas.” Today, the Academy serves as the patient’s and the community’s advocate by linking them to medicine.
The Academy provides meeting space for more than 30 meetings per month and hosts more than 7,200 attendees per year. Along with committees of the Medical Society, the volunteer Alliance, the Ethics Consortium, and the Emergency Physicians Advisory Board meet regularly. Additionally, the Tarrant County Medical Society hosts numerous medical education seminars sponsored by the Texas Medical at the Academy of Medicine.